Monday, November 10, 2014

Inskip Point

I went out to Inskip Point very early the other morning. It was soon after sunrise and the air was very still. On the south side of the point there was almost no movement on the water.

On the north side of the point  - which is the channel between the point and Fraser Island - there was also very little wind or wave movement. The tide was not full for a couple of hours but there was plenty of water already. I watched a number of sailing boats motor down the channel. It was interesting to see them all stand well out to sea. Were they waiting for more wind to get up? After a couple more hours it was quite a brisk wind.

Quite a number of other boats went down the channel while I was there. I don't know a lot about how boats show their country of origin but this one had an Australian flag flying above it and a USA flag flying from the back.

Two of the fishing charter boats also went down the channel out to sea. These charter boats leave from the Carlo Island wharf and go well out to sea. My brother - whom I would describe as a keen fisherman! - has been out on both these charter boats and said he had a great time on both.

The barge to Fraser Island also arrived soon after I got out there.

Although there there were lots of birds out on the sand island there were only some gulls and terns on the point.  This photo shows Silver Gulls, a Caspian Tern (which is the largest tern), a Crested Tern in the center of the photo and a number of smaller migratory terns - most likely Common Terns but there is not enough detail visible to be absolutely sure.

Before I had been there very long a vehicle going out to the barge disturbed them and they all flew up.

I don't know what disturbed the birds out on the island but they flew up a few minutes later. A number of them were also Terns and they flew straight out to sea.

Some were Bar-tailed Godwits and they also flew down the channel towards the sea. They were possibly going over to Hook Point on the south eastern tip of Fraser Island.

For more scenery from around the world visit Our World Tuesday 

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday.


27 comments:

  1. nice calm waters. fun to see the US flag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to see the boats out in the water. I like the last photo of the godwits against the sky.mmsuch graceful bills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that photo of the birds taking to the air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish it was that calm for our kayaking trip. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful seashore photography ~ your fishing boat looks so new! Great post ~

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol
    A Creative Harbor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the atmosphere in your second capture! Also the one of the cheerful green barge:)
    Your comment on my blog made me smile - you're right, clothes smell like sunshine when dried outside! But for more than 40 years I had a dryer and lived in the city, that I feel like I landed in another country (now I live in the mountains at 300 feet)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great scenery you've captured!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ouch, don´t like the boat with all fishing poles. Last week I saw a film on TV about that kind of fishing. They shared all misfortuned that can happen. They tie the pold to their waist and, in this case, the fish was too strong and the man followed it down. :( Sorry. The shots are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is NOT a good story at all but I guess it must happen when they go after those really big fish. AFAIK the gear they use on these boats is for fish not so large and would possibly break if there was too much strain on it - hopefully anyway!

      Delete
    2. ouch, I have to be more careful about the spelling. Or "fingerslip" as I call it.

      re your last comment: hi Mick, thanks for explaining this for me. I can´t remember seeing this kind of road grader at home. We was not really bothered by the dust, Only we had to slow down now and then due to bad sight. I write these things down because I notice and can´t remember reading it before. It is a part of what I learned about the country. And it is interesting.

      Delete
  9. All those fishing rods! Seems like all the terns are after the same thing as the fishermen but I guess there's plenty to go around - for now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Terns go after bait fish - and those fishermen come in with the bigger fish.

      Delete
  10. Capturing birds in flight is an onerous job! Congrats !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice photos! Great captured!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved all your ocean pics. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great selection of gulls and Terns of the beach and I love the last shot of the Godwits

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful birds. I like the gulls and the terns a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the terns flying and skimming ... Beautiful pictures. I like to GO fishing! because there are usually a lot of birds to see.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When they all take off at once its a wonder they don't get all tangled up ......

    ReplyDelete
  17. What wonderful photos. I love seeing the birds and the boats are great captures!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great place to be! I love the mixed tern shot - as you will have noticed, I'm on a bit of a 'tern run' myself!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne.

    PS: sorry for slow reply, I've been away from home because of work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful and serene. I love your photography.

    ReplyDelete