Monday, April 6, 2015

A Morning For Visitors

A couple of weeks ago I had visitors who had not seen around this area before. I always enjoy showing off the beauty spots around here! I had my camera with me but only remembered to get it out when there was something really great to see!
We headed out to Inskip Point - visitors are always interested to see how close Fraser Island is just over the channel. It was mid-morning and still a couple of hours before high tide so the only shorebirds I could see were way out on the sand island in the middle of the Strait. However, as we walked along the bush track towards end of the point I heard a couple of birds calling. There were two Beach Stone-curlews (Esacus magnirostris) walking along the sand in full sight.

I always like to look southwards along the beach toward the colored sand cliffs just south of Rainbow Beach - and it's always good for a photo! Rainbow Beach township is on the right of the photo and just behind the tree. I did not have my wide angle lens so had to take a second photo to follow right along the beach towards Double Island Point far down to the south east.

We ended up going to Bymien Picnic place for lunch. This is in a really beautiful piece of rain forest and always worth a visit. This time as we sat at one of the picnic tables eating and talking this Goanna or Sand Monitor came and checked us out. It looked as if it was hoping for a hand-out - which it did NOT get from us!

For more photos from around the world visit Our World Tuesday

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday.

18 comments:

  1. Would love to see the Beach Stone-curlews, Fantastic looking birds. Last time I was up that way I was too busy looking at the Cherry Venture shipwreck. That was about 35 years ago, My bird list from that day consists of Crested Tern and Silver Gull :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! love the stone-curlews and the monitor, both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty beach and spot for birding. The Stone Curlews are pretty. And I love the monitor..Great post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, awesome indeed, Mick!! Terrific captures as always!! Thanks for sharing the beauty!! Hope you have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That monitor looks so sad just waiting for a juicy morsel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful nature photography ~ What a gift to see and photograph these wonders!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great captures of those curlews - don't believe I've ever seen any in the flesh. What remarkable colouring they have on their "under carriage" and legs! Thanks for sharing, Mick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful scenery Mick. Love the curlews, such comical looking birds. I was always fascinated by monitors when I lived in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it's possible for a Goanna to have an expression that one surely says "Meanie" for not dropping food its way. How great that your beach curlews are so visible like that. Our Stone Curlews are just so shy and unapproachable and exactly the opposite of that pair.

    By the way, at Pilling which is very tidal, the high tides will reach part way up that wall and fill the left hand marsh completely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful location. The Curlew has interesting markings. I love the hopeful Monitor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes, it is a beautiful place you live in. :) And I like the images of the Beach Stone-curlews. I did see a couple when I was down there but only far away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful beach area to take your visitors, and I loved seeing the curlews and the sand monitor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful shots of birds and reptiles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's easy to see why you like to show off this place to visitors! Simply beautiful! Fantastic shots of the curlews - a new species for me. Your goanna is marvelous!

    Thanks for sharing it all, Mick! It's almost a weekend again. Hope yours is good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am LOVING your photos! the third one looks very similar to scenery here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your visitors are lucky to have a knowledgeable guide like you ... And of course lucky just to be in your beautiful corner of the world. The bird couple are great... Look a little like a night heron sort of. And your"monster" would have had to go away hungry if I saw it! Different from our iguanas and other lizards, but sort of similar... You'd be right at home here in SW Florida! Bring your kayaks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great set of wildlife to show the visitors - only ever seen BSCs once - although one was hanging about down here in the summer - clearly lost!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those birds are so funny looking. What a beautiful beach. I'd love to have a picnic and a nice long walk there.

    ReplyDelete